Best Practices to Effectively Manage Access Controls in the ERP SystemAugust 04, 2023
The ERP system is an indispensable component for various businesses, empowering them with crucial tools to manage financial data, human resources, and other vital operational aspects. However, in handling sensitive information, it is requisite to effectively manage access controls to ensure that only authorized users can access that data.
Different Types of Access Controls in an ERP System
- Role-Based Access Control (RBAC): This control type assigns users specific roles, granting data access based on their designated roles. RBAC ensures that users can only access the data pertinent to their roles.
- Attribute-Based Access Control (ABAC): ABAC is a flexible access control model that considers diverse attributes such as location, device, and time to determine user data access. It provides higher granularity in access control decisions.
- Mandatory Access Control (MAC): MAC, predominantly used in high-security environments, is a highly restrictive access control model. In MAC, system administrators define access rights, and users are unable to modify their access permissions.
Best Practices for Managing Access Controls in an ERP System
- Conducting Regular Access Reviews: Regular access reviews are essential for maintaining appropriate and necessary access for each user. These reviews ensure that users do not retain unnecessary access privileges to sensitive data.
- Implementing a Least Privilege Model: The least privilege model guarantees that users possess access solely to the data required for their job functions. This approach minimizes the risk of data breaches by limiting individual user access to a bare minimum.
- Utilize Automated Tools for Access Monitoring: Employing automated tools to monitor ERP system access helps detect unusual activities, promptly notifying administrators of potential security breaches. These tools also assist in identifying areas where access controls need reinforcement.
- Provide Employee Training and Awareness Programs: Training and awareness programs educate employees about the significance of access controls and promote secure system usage. By enhancing employee knowledge, these initiatives mitigate the risk of unintentional or deliberate data breaches.
You can now empower your organization with 1Trooper. We help you analyze access risks across business-critical applications, safeguard systems, and stay audit-ready. From enterprise-level evaluation to granular security permissions, 1Trooper ensures comprehensive protection.